Rose HERO – English rose D. Austin. This is a beautiful plant with flowers painted in pink glowing color. The aroma of them is saturated, myrrh. The foliage, although large, but not numerous. Rosa HERO is named after one of the heroes of the poem by K. Marlowe “Hero and Leander”.
Characteristics of a rose HERO
- Group – English roses
- Basic form – climbing
- Height – 2.5 m
- Diameter – from 0.9 m
- Bush form – oval
- Flower color – pink
- Number of petals – more 30
- Flower shape – spherical
- Size flower – 10 cm
- Flowering form – clusters
- Flowering type – repeating
- Aroma – saturated
- Foliage – large, dark green, dense
- Shoots – flexible, with spikes
- Features – the flowers open fully and show a golden yellow wreath of stamens; requires regular top dressing to enhance health; prefers sunny areas, but tolerates light penumbra
- Resistance to powdery mildew – low
- Resistance to black spotting – low
- Cold resistance – 6-9 zones USDA
- Breeder – D. Austin
- Catalog name – Aushero
- Year of introduction to the culture – 1982
- Soil – all types of
- pH – can be slight variations from neutral (5.6 – 7.8)
- Drainage – required
- Plot – sunny / partial shade
- Container – yes
- Standard – no
- Planting types – mixed planting, container garden, rosaries, arbors, poles, arches
- Pests – typical for roses
- Diseases – powdery mildew, black spotting, rust of roses
Take care of a HERO rose like this:
- Planting for roses is the most important step in caring for them. Rose HERO prefers sunny areas with well-arranged drainage. It grows better on a fertile, rich in mineral elements and organic. The earth must be loose in order to allow enough water and air to pass through to the root system.
- Watering. Roses are watered as necessary – from 10 liters of water per 1 adult bush on average 2 to 3 times a week. In dry times, watering is more frequent. If the English Hero rose grows in a container, then watering is usually more frequent. In both cases, it all depends on weather conditions.
- Fertilizing with fertilizers is carried out at least 2 to 3 times during the growing season. It can be both mineral fertilizers and organic. Be sure to give the rose vitamin complexes, which are introduced by spraying. For roses growing in pots, top dressing is more frequent, but smaller doses are used.
- Pruning a HERO rose twice. In summer, faded parts are constantly cut to stimulate the appearance of new flowers. In autumn, winter or early spring, pruning is done to form the plant and prevent it from diseases or pests hiding under the bark of the plant. The HERO potted rose is also pruned.
- Loosening and weeding the soil around the rose bush is necessary for the circulation of air, moisture and nutrients for the root system. To minimize your labor, use mulching. This technique will help reduce weeds and keep the soil moist longer. This applies to container roses.
- Be sure to cover the English HERO rose, growing in pots and in the open ground.
Enjoy your cultivation!