Rose WISE PORTIA – one of the English roses of D. Austin. On the company’s website, it is not for sale. It can be attributed to collection roses. Although she has beautiful flowers in the Gallic style. They are large and fragrant. The bush itself is low and compact. Rose WISE PORTIA was named in honor of one of the heroines of W. Shakespeare from the “Merchant of Venice”.
Characteristics of a rose WISE PORTIA
- Group – English roses (English Roses)
- Basic form – bush
- Height – 0.7 m
- Diameter – 0.7 m
- Bush form – rounded
- Flower color – purple-purple
- Number of petals – 40
- Flower shape – cupped
- Flower size – 10-12 cm
- Flowering form – brush
- Flowering type – repeating
- Aroma – strong, fruity
- Foliage – dark green, large, dense
- Shoots – erect, strong, with spikes
- Features – thermophilic; requires constant and timely top dressing; better grown in dry and hot climates; a fully opened flower shows a wreath of yellow-bronze stamens; in temperate cold climates it is grown in containers
- Resistance to powdery mildew – medium
- Resistance to black spotting – medium
- Cold resistance – 5-9 zones USDA
- Breeder – D. Austin
- Catalog name – Ausport
- Year of introduction to the culture – 1982
- Soil – all types of
- pH – can be slight variations from neutral (5.6 – 7.8)
- Drainage – required
- Plot – sunny / partial shade
- Container – yes
- Stamb – yes
- Planting types – mixed planting, borders, hedges, container garden, rosaries
- Pests – typical for roses
- Diseases – powdery dew, black spotting, rust of roses
Care of a WISE PORTIA rose like this:
- Planting for roses is the most important step in leaving them. Rose WISE PORTIA prefers sunny areas with well-arranged drainage. It grows on almost all types of soils. The earth must be loose in order to allow enough water and air to pass through to the root system.
- Watering. Roses are watered as necessary – up to 10 liters of water per 1 adult bush on average 2 – 3 times a week. In dry times, watering is more frequent. If the English rose WISE PORTIA grows in a container, then watering is more frequent. In both cases, it all depends on weather conditions.
- Fertilizing with fertilizers is carried out at least 2 to 3 times during the growing season. It can be both mineral fertilizers and organic. Vitamins are also given to roses, which are administered by spraying. For roses growing in pots, top dressing is more frequent, but smaller doses are used.
- Do cropping twice. In summer, faded parts are constantly cut off to stimulate the appearance of new flowers, and in autumn, winter or early spring, pruning is carried out to form the plant and prevent from diseases or pests hiding under the bark of the plant. The WISE PORTIA potted rose is also pruned.
- Loosening and weeding the soil around the rose bush is necessary for the circulation of air, moisture and nutrients for the root system. To minimize your labor, use mulching. This agrotechnical technique will help to reduce the number of weeds and leave the soil longer moist. This applies to container roses.
- Be sure to cover the English rose WISE PORTIA, growing in pots and open ground in cold, temperate climates.
Enjoy your cultivation!